2001: A Space Odyssey

2001: A Space Odyssey ★★★★★

You know a film is solid when you loathe any brief second in which you have to look away from it. It’s a different beast in 70mm, but the audience experience elevated this for me (it’s that “are you seeing what I’m seeing?” instinct). All of the big Stan man’s flicks ask more questions than they answer, and while it usually can lead to a negative viewing experience for some, it can immerse you into the world that much more. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen 2001: A Space Odyssey, which speaks to its power, it remains just as magical and hypnotic. The chanting horror score is terrifying, which is dark Kubrick humor considering how ironically funny HAL’s murder spree is. This film isn’t for everyone, which is what makes it truly great, it never conforms and constantly challenges the viewer. Kubrick wanted to change the form, and he did it in a way that filmmakers are still trying to reach. Was he just the ultimate con man who managed to fool all of us with simple camera techniques to make images look more profound than it actually were? Or was he a once-in-a-lifetime genius? How about both?

Stanley Kubrick Ranked