Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood

Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood ★★★★★

My fifth time watching, and I love it now more than ever. I was disappointed the first time, because I was expecting an intense Hateful Eight-like experience. Meanwhile Tarantino was going back to his roots, crafting yet another LA movie, granted set in the past but a completely different direction from his pair of Westerns. For my money it’s his funniest flick, with every one liner knocked me the fuck out man (yeah that’s right, I referenced another LA movie, wonder who’ll catch it). You can choose to pay close attention like a devoted film buff or have it on in the background while hanging out, it’s your pal like Cliff is to Rick. Margot Robbie’s Sharon Tate is quite charming, she represents the hopes and dreams of anyone who may have once looked at Tinseltown with wide eyes. Leonardo DiCaprio gives one of the most impressive performances ever and it’s overlooked by some simply because Brad Pitt nails the role he was born to play. Cliff Booth is who we vibe with, but Rick Dalton is who we really relate to, as life be hitting a little too hard at times. The brilliant ending was what resonated with me the least this time because I appreciated the slower parts of the film so much more. I’m not sure how this Quentin guy continues to outdo himself, but he’s been banging out classics for 30 years and shows no signs of declining (the only thing stopping him is that only-making-10-films limit). This film explores some of the same waters that Jackie Brown, this time with less middle-aged melancholy and more “let’s get stoned and forget about how sad life is.”

Quentin Tarantino Ranked