The Mitchells vs. The Machines

The Mitchells vs. The Machines ★★★½

I liked Into the Spider-Verse, but I wasn’t blown away by it. Besides the slow second half, I wasn’t able to connect with any of the characters in the way that Pixar used exceed in doing (Inside Out and Coco brought some of that magic back). This film is what I wanted out of Big Hero 6, a film designed to put you in the main character’s shoes but ultimately falls short because of stylistic choices. This film included every color in the universe but never strayed away from the father-daughter dynamic that was at its core.

I chuckled at every joke, which is unheard of for most modern family (wasn’t intentional) films I’ve seen. Kudos to the all-star cast, though the little brother being voiced by an adult was a bit distracting (not as distracting as how terrifying A.I. looks even in a children’s cartoon though). It’s a bit too long and gets repetitive towards the end, but the word boring never crossed my mind because the characters were just so fun. It could be because I’m a filmmaker in college that this resonated with me so much, but the fact that this could’ve only been about the Mitchells and probably been just as good for me says a lot about the writing. Also, Conan O’Brien and Blake Griffin existing together is what you want.

2021 Ranked