Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance) ★★★★½

So an editor walks into a movie theatre and it takes him over half an hour to realize that the film he's watching has had no cuts whatsoever.
Okay so It's not a very funny joke, but it happened to me while watching "Birdman", a thoroughly engaging, challenging new film starring Michael Keaton.
Keaton plays an aging Hollywood blockbuster actor, once famous for a role as the titular superhero Birdman. He's struggling to remain relevant and admired both professionally and personally. Directing and starring in a broadway production of a Raymond Carver play is his "last shot".
I hadn't heard too much about it before I went in, other than it had been very well received. Once again it is a great feeling to go in to a movie not knowing what's coming and getting way more than you could possibly hope for. A really juicy premise with lots of avenues to explore presented with a very appealing unique technical style - the aforementioned invisible edits. Long takes are seamlessly cut together - I'm not going to into the "how", so here's a link about that: www.moviemaker.com/archives/interviews/birdman-editors-stephen-mirrione-douglas-crise/
The camera follows the cast getting in very close during dramatic moments then whirls away down a hall, through the backstage or up some stairs to a dressing room - always smooth never jarring or nauseating otherwise it might have become visually relentless and detract from the story or the characters.
Excellent performances from a really solid cast - Keaton, Emma Stone, Edward Norton, Naomi Watts, Andrea Riseborough, Amy Ryan and Zach Galifianakis.
Highly recommended.