Quarantine ★★★★

I consider Rec through Rec 3 to be one of my top 5 favorite horror trilogies of all time, and I especially love the first two. Paco Plaza is easily one of my favorite horror directors. I fully know this is a blatant, bear shot-for-shot remake of Rec.

That does not make this bad.  Taking something amazing and redoing it in a different language doesn’t ruin it.  It just creates extra content to love. Ex. Gore Verbinski’s The Ring is one of my all-time favorite movies

While I don’t love the change in ending from its original material, this is still stands as a foundation of found footage filmmaking. Similarly to Rec, it’s a near-obnoxious level of paranoid, nightmare-inducing trip through terror, and I wouldn’t trade it for the world. Jay Hernandez and Jennifer Carpenter absolutely kill their roles and genuinely sell the fear their characters are experiencing.  The slight Americanized touches help to build this film its own personality.

TL;DR I Stan Rec and I stan this too, because I’ll never complain about extra quality content  to watch, and I wish there was a Quarantine 2 based on Rec 2