Most Dangerous Man Alive ★★

After the bomb
A vengeful man of steel.
Dust, after all.

“Thrillingly silly!” puts Richard Brody in what’s a very Richard Brody defense of not a very good movie. Silly is perhaps an understatement of how odd this film feels in Dwan’s late period, even with its noir-ish aspects. Whether the stories are true or not, the film certainly looks and plays cheap, lacking both Dwan’s more tender or physical moments (all the action plays out in close-ups instead of long shot). Acting is specious at best, and the dialogue and scenes feel real clunky for a director who usually can sell clunk really well. There’s a moment that’s basically a rip off a scene in Hawks’s The Thing, except the fact that Ron Randell falls for the trap can only be defended by the fact that he’s quite unintelligent. In fact, many of the plot developments in this film depend on characters having the intelligence of a door knob. The final, “surreal” moments might make for artistry, but the whole thing feels like a rushed one off instead of some sort of artistic stroke of genius. Certainly a film which I’m glad I see as I prepare my thesis on apocalyptic film noir, but probably not the best way to end my Dwan marathon.