Dolemite Is My Name

Dolemite Is My Name ★★★★★

* Half way through the movie, when I knew I liked it a lot, I was thinking about making a list about bad filmmakers with movies such as Ed Wood, The Disaster Artist and this one. However at the end of the movie I decided not to go ahead with that plan because I can't put Rudy Ray Moore in a list with Ed Wood and Tommy Wiseau. He is certainly not a bad filmmaker and he is definitely a great man.

* Though I gave up that plan, this movie is still comparable to those movies as portrayal of a group of inexperienced people around an even more inexperienced passionate man trying to make a movie. Murphy who started this project around 2003, hired the screenwriting duo of Scott Alexander and Larry Karaszewski, who also wrote Ed Wood. This shows how the similarity was on his mind as well.

* Eddie Murphy was electrifying as Rudy. I haven't seen enough of his movies to say this. But I still think this is a strong contender for his best ever performance.

* Oh and it was funny from beginning to end and had a wonderful cast. And it does a lot to show an important part of history about the development of African American culture.

Explorer liked this review