Promising Young Woman

Promising Young Woman ★★★★½

Everyone needs to see this film. It expertly and devastatingly captures the horrific reality of sexual assault and misogyny. Despite the #MeToo movement, this epidemic still needs more light shone on it. The fact that crimes like those depicted in this film occur regularly speaks to how unacceptable our society remains. Watching this should make us question what more we could be doing.

This film strikes every note so convincingly - the vibrant pastel color palette juxtaposed with the malicious events depicted, the electric score and soundtrack (including a sublime remix of Britney Spears's "Toxic"), and one of the most catastrophic gut punches I have ever experienced through film. Carey Mulligan was exceptional and deserves awards buzz. All that her character Cassie evokes is meticulously delivered: black comedic relief, fleeting blips of hope, dishing out vigilante justice, and so much more. In short, Cassie is a perfectly imperfect, iconic heroine who takes us all along on a deeply unsettling, momentous, and heart-pounding ride.

Seb liked these reviews