Kadaisi Vivasayi

Kadaisi Vivasayi ★★★★★

I felt so one with people, one with nature, one with my ancestors, one with the universe, one with God. This is the kindest film I've watched in quite a while, especially to come from an Indian soil (literally). It had such a compassionate gaze towards everything that reaches its sight. In contrary to all the chest-thumping exploitative agricultural movies that have been coming out of India in recent times, this film doesn't guilt-trip you for the lack of care or attention towards the issue... instead, it gently nudges you to just spend some time in that village, asking you... "You sure you don't want to be part of all this fun, happiness and divine joy?"

It is no easy feat at all... to not resort to any manipulative techniques to extort emotions... and yet affect a person so much. Manikandan is so bloody careful not to play with your emotions, in any way whatsoever. He doesn't want your tears, cos these farmers deserve so much more than your sympathy. These villagers are so full of life, there is so much colour in their lives. So for us to come from our mundane lives and to feel sympathetic towards them is the dumbest thing one can do.

This film wakes so many unanswered questions within myself. And yet, it never makes me feel bad for not having addressed them thus far. That is how kind and loving this film is... Now let me go ruminate.

Tamil Naate innaiki yaar aatchi pandraanu theriyuma?
Murugan… Eppavumey avanthaane…