Letterboxd is an independent service created by a small team, and we rely mostly on the support of our members to maintain our site and apps. Please consider upgrading to a Pro account—for less than a couple bucks a month, you’ll get cool additional features like all-time and annual stats pages (example), the ability to select (and filter by) your favorite streaming services, and no ads!
- Your privacy: Letterboxd is committed to ensuring the privacy of your information.
- Personal information: In order to use particular services that we offer, you may need to submit certain personal information such as your email address, name, address, telephone number, gender and date of birth. You may be asked to submit further information from time to time. If you purchase a subscription via Paddle.com, we may send identifying information to Paddle in order to link your subscription to your account. If you connect your Facebook or Twitter accounts to your Letterboxd account, we will access these accounts to identify which of your friends on those services are also using Letterboxd.
- Advertising privacy: (EU users only) When you use our website, pre-selected companies may access and use certain information on your device and about your interests to serve ads or personalized content. You may change your consent choices at any time.
- Log data: We also receive information when you view content on, or otherwise interact with, our services, which we refer to as “Log Data”, even if you have not created a Letterboxd account. This Log Data includes information such as your IP address, browser type, operating system, the referring web page, pages visited, location, your mobile carrier, device information (including device and application IDs), search terms, and cookie information. We use Log Data to operate our services and to ensure their secure, reliable, and robust performance. For example, we use Log Data to protect the security of your account and to determine what features are popular on our services. We also use this data to improve the content we show you and to identify potential misuse of our services.
- Payment information: The Service relies on third parties to process subscription payments, so the Service necessarily must share identifying information with the relevant payment processor in order to know which account the payment will be applied to. We do not otherwise store any of your payment information. All payments are processed by Paddle.com or Apple, Inc. as merchant of record (collectively, the “Resellers”). As the payment process is entirely and independently carried out by the Resellers, you submit the relevant payment details directly to the Reseller. The Resellers’ respective privacy policies are at paddle.com/legal and apple.com/legal/privacy. For web subscriptions (“Products”), Paddle.com allows the Service to access the following payment data: your email address and your payment method (e.g. by credit card), but not the specifics of the payment itself, in order to obtain an overview over the Product’s performance. The legitimate interest of Paddle.com is to transparently communicate its sales of the Product to the Service; the legitimate interest of the Service is to know about its revenues generated by Paddle.com. The user, data subject has the possibility to revoke consent for the handling of personal data at any time from Paddle.com. A revocation shall not have any effect on personal data, which must be processed, used or transmitted in accordance with (contractual) payment processing.
- Use of information: The personal information you provide us will only be used in relation to the services we provide you, to communicate with you in relation to our services or to co-operate with any government, industry or regulatory authorities.
- Disclosure of information: Unless you have expressly authorised us to do so, we will not disclose your personal information to any third party except where disclosure relates to the purposes for which the information was collected (as stated in paragraph 8 above).
- Access to and updates of information: You may request at any time to access the personal information that we hold on your behalf or to correct or update any of your personal information (to the extent that you are unable to do so yourself on the Website). If you have registered an account with Letterboxd, you can access, correct, delete, or modify the personal information you provided to us and associated with your account via your Settings page.
- Access to and updates of information: You may request at any time to access the personal information that we hold on your behalf or to correct or update any of your personal information (to the extent that you are unable to do so yourself on the Website). If you have registered an account with Letterboxd, you can access, correct, delete, or modify the personal information you provided to us and associated with your account via your Settings page on the Website.
- Storage of information: We will securely store your personal information in the United States, although you acknowledge and agree that your personal information may be transferred outside of the United States in connection with the services we offer, as further set out in clause 12 below.
- Global operations and Privacy Shield: To bring you our services, we operate globally. Where the laws of your country allow you to do so, you authorize us to transfer, store, and use your data in the United States, New Zealand and any other country where we might operate. In some of the countries to which we transfer personal data, the privacy and data protection laws and rules regarding when government authorities may access data may vary from those of your country. When we transfer personal data outside of the European Union or EFTA States, we ensure an adequate level of protection for the rights of data subjects based on the adequacy of the receiving country’s data protection laws, contractual obligations placed on the recipient of the data, or EU-US and Swiss-US Privacy Shield principles
- Retention: We will hold your personal information both before and after the deactivation or your account, but only for as long as we are lawfully entitled to do so, or until you request that we permanently delete it.
- Deactivation and deletion: Your account can be deactivated in Settings, and you can request permanent deletion via email following deactivation. When deactivated, your Letterboxd account, including your username, profile and content will no longer be viewable on the Website, App or API, but they will be retained unless and until you separately request permanent deletion via email. If you don’t request deletion, then it is possible to request the reactivation of your account if it was accidentally or wrongfully deactivated. We cannot restore permanently deleted accounts.
- Deactivation and deletion: Your account can be deactivated from Settings on the Website, and you can request permanent deletion via email following deactivation. When deactivated, your Letterboxd account, including your username, profile and content will no longer be viewable on the Website, App or API, but they will be retained unless and until you separately request permanent deletion via email. If you don’t request deletion, then it is possible to request the reactivation of your account if it was accidentally or wrongfully deactivated. We cannot restore permanently deleted accounts.
- Portability: Letterboxd provides you a means to download the information you have shared through our services by using the account export option on your Settings page.
- Portability: Letterboxd provides you a means to download the information you have shared through our services by using the account export option on your Settings page on the Website.
- Security: You must keep any login, password or account information relating to your use of the Website secure at all times, and must immediately notify us of any unauthorized use of such information or any other breach of security. We will not be liable for any loss or damage if you fail to comply with this security obligation.
This policy was last updated in October 2021 and is effective immediately.