In the Mood for Love

In the Mood for Love ★★★★★

"Feelings can creep up just like that. I thought I was in control."

In the Mood for Love is a mood. I'm not sure there's anything I can say that hasn't already been said about this classy masterpiece. It's so nuanced in it's presentation of unfulfilled desire & the search for answers in the face of a spouse's infidelity. Poetic heartbreak cinema at it's finest.

So, I want to take this time to address the elephant (wearing sunglasses) in the room - WKW & his major color grading change with the new restoration. The story is the same, but the mood is drastically different. The look of the original version lends itself well to the setting of 1962. It's colorful & vibrant. Daytime scenes stand out better & the new version feels a bit too dreary during those moments. When it turns to night, however, the new restoration shines. Rainy alleyway scenes feel more emotional & impactful. The red curtains in the hotel really pop here because of the contrast. Both have their merit - I would have to say I prefer the look of the original more, but it's themes felt much more present in the new version.

Getting to this point in WKW's filmography has been emotionally taxing if I'm being honest with you all. I'm glad to experience it, though. There has been many moments of deep introspection, but I definitely need to take a break from these emotions after 2046..
‐‐‐