pacific northwest queer lady obsessed with movies.
traded my rose-colored shades for a wide lens.
black lives matter.
This review may contain spoilers. I can handle the truth.
Of course it was basically a religious experience to watch this. Lana goes out on a limb & comes back with something dense, shaggy, ambitious, colorful, personal, insightful, and just out-there enough. I didn't pick up on everything, but on the first watch of a Wachowski movie, missing things is exhilarating because it portends a satisfying and fascinating rewatch. I've rewatched so many of the sisters' movies this year, and they all prove so rewarding to come back to, seeing all…
The lead guy in this is so silly, he has the face of Zachary Levi and the voice of William Wegman. Somehow, in context, it works!
This one speeds past its themes at a rate that makes it feel more like a regular genre movie than Cronenberg's later and better works, but it's still an entertaining and intriguing film.
"The most impressive thing about Emily the Criminal as a thriller is the way it conveys with such clarity the struggle of life in late-capitalist America, and the complex yet intensely regular humanity of people who have been defined societally as criminals. In this film, the scenes where Emily finds herself being poorly treated during a job interview have just as much tension as scenes where she faces off with someone who means her extreme physical harm."
Read my full review for The Young Folks here: www.theyoungfolks.com/film/166450/emily-the-criminal-review-a-smart-and-tightly-woven-crime-thriller-starring-aubrey-plaza/
- Super fun.
- A smart depiction of queer people in a rural setting.
- Heartwarming messages about how queer people can be good parents & overcoming internalized homophobia.
- Cool trans lady character complete with righteous anger.
- Trans woman played by cis man.
- Weird running joke about deadnaming the trans character.
- Exhausting racist-as-fuck subplot goes on forever.
- Too visually distinctive and fun to remake easily, forcing us to sit through the deadnaming and racism because the rest of it is actually good.