Insidious: Chapter 2 ½

Added to: James Wan Ranked & 2013 Ranked

"DON’T! YOU!! DARE!!!"

I thought James Wan couldn't do any worse but boy, does he make me lose my shit. Compared to this the first one looks like a good film (well, okay, a reasonable one). He brings a whole new meaning to the idea that jump scares are the only way to scare people by not only using loud crashes of music to score the jump scares but also every unexpected bit of movement. His visual style of the film has reached a level that's even worse than that in the Conjuring films. There's no depth in his images, no atmosphere in his editing. There are some godawful jumpcuts that are top-tier obnoxious. The lighting and movement of the camera take on the form of a faux-documentary at a certain point which should heighten the sense of realism of the paranormal events but instead takes all credibility away from the film. And the writing... if there ever was a script that could kill it would be this (Tommy Wiseau feels like Aaron Sorkin in comparison). There’s “show, don’t tell” but this film would benefit from just not telling anything at all. Strip the film from any bit of dialogue, the images tell the story well enough (as much as there is a story of course). The strangest thing of all may be that Patrick Wilson’s wooden acting is almost completely eradicated thanks to the godawful script. He gets the chance to go batshit insane and it almost makes me wish he took this madness to level “Jack Nicholson in The Shining” or at the very least just level “Jack Nicholson”.

I could go on and on about how utterly vapid this film is and write another lengthy rant/analysis on how contrived and unnecessary these films are, but at this point, I don’t even want to anymore. And to think I’ve tasked myself with watching all four of these…

𝕎𝕚𝕝𝕝𝕖𝕞 (𝕃𝕖𝕠) liked these reviews