Le Samouraï

Le Samouraï ★★★★★

Film #19 in The Wonderful, Once in a Lifetime LeBlancanieves-Challenge

Jean-Pierre Melville's Le Samouraï is as tightly perfect as his main character. Hitman Jef Costello seemingly plans every single step he takes and leads a life that is precise to the minute. Yet even the best can't be truly perfect.

The story of Le Samouraï can basically be seen as one of the simplest yet most effective character studies ever made. The only thing that drives the plot is Jef's mistake of being recognized during one of his jobs. Besides that we just observe his life, the world around him and how those two things combine and interact. Melville has a serious knack for doing that as well. His directing is so on point, he knows exactly what to show and when to show it. He never stuff his scenes with unnecessary dialogue or imagery. He keeps it cool. Cool as ice, just like Jef.

It's insane but you can seriously fall in love with story that's so suave and clean. You basically don't learn that much of it, but you get totally immersed in the whole world Melville sets up. In any other case this film might have become a total bore, but he keeps it just close enough to realism to keep your interest. It's a perfect blend of stylization and naturalism if there ever was one and I am left speechless enough to leave y'all with this very quickly written review but I don't really give a fuck. I love this film! 1967 was undoubtedly one of the best years in cinema history.

𝕎𝕚𝕝𝕝𝕖𝕞 (𝕃𝕖𝕠) liked these reviews