Moonlight ★★★★★

Moonlight is one of those films where you come out of it a little unsure of what to do next. It's slightly jarring to just take out your headphones and continue with your own life after feeling so immersed in someone else's. I hope I don't sound fake deep again but this film just feels like an experience. It's more than a story being told to you on one side of the screen, it's an adventure that invites you to come along. With every colour jumping out at you (maybe that's due to the bright pink IKEA light I have in my room that kinda mimics the colours of the shot of Paula yelling in the hallway, but just indulge me for a second) and every sound that wraps around your head like it's in front of, next to and behind you. This film is so brutally honest and unashamed it's refreshing to watch. Escaping into a world that's easier than yours can be good on most days, but it's important to have films that reflect situations that aren't perfect and it's important that we watch and listen and care. I know it's been just months away from a year since Moonlight won Best Picture but I still think about it (we probably all do because of THAT moment that I don't wanna think about because I have a very low cringe threshold), I'm beyond happy that it did. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of a few other of the nominated films, but when it boils down to it, La La Land not winning doesn't make it any less of a great film. It doesn't take away any of it's qualities or any of it's other wins. The pure statement that the Best Picture award makes for a film deserved to go to Moonlight. It deserved to be remembered among the other winners from every year, it deserved to have that spotlight and have it's message boosted through the megaphone of the tiny gold man. I've waited a long time to rewatch Moonlight because I didn't want to over-watch it and take away from the experience after becoming too familiar, like I stuck it in a glass case and preserved it for a few months. It's a film that deserves to be preserved, it's a film that deserves to be remembered.

issy 🥝 liked these reviews