Avengers: Endgame

Avengers: Endgame ★★★★★

If the last "Avengers" movie left the Superhero subgenre on a high note, this one leaves it on a level I could only compare to cosmic. The hype that surrounded this movie when it came out...the ammount of people present during opening night...the records broke by this movie...without any hesitation or the slightest doubt, I'd go as far as to say this was a groundbreaking moment in film history. How many filmic franchises do you know that could do what Disney and Marvel were able to achieve with their [back then] 21 interconected comic book movies? Become such a massive phenomenon that hugely impacted pop culture with everything it got? "Avengers: Endgame" is a masterpiece. It's everything a comic book adaptation can ever strive to be, an impossible dream where you can never get around your head that is in fact a reality, after 11 whole years in the making. A monumental, glorious triumph, that's both the ultimate crossover ever put onscreen, and unarguably the pinnacle of all bluckbuster films alike. I find myself enjoying this movie more than I enjoy "Avengers: Infinity War", which despite being a direct continuation from it, ultimately is a completely different story that can stand by itself without any help, and even challenges and takes the now perfected "Marvel formula" to the extreme. I think it has more tasks to accomplish and higher stakes than any other film has ever had, but that's no problem for the Russo Brothers, who really excelled at creating a genuinely compelling narrative with "Avengers: Endgame", resulting in one of the most well-made Superhero movies of all time, beautiful on its own right, gorgeous to look at, well-paced, and featuring a ton of incredible action sequences and one of the greatest third acts of any Comic Book Movie, all accompanied by a score by Alan Silvestri that can only be described as "otherworldly". A genuine cinematic achievement that proves to be a quality display that never lets you go from the beginning of the movie, instantly invested in this cathartic, personal, and surreal experience where you laugh, you cheer, hell, I even fucking cried at one point during my first watch. It's no secret this is an emotionally devastating rollercoaster of emotions, but it's also ans abundantly gratifying event with unfortgettable moments that will forever live rent-free on the hearts and minds of any dedicated fan, a strong revisit to the best moments of the Infinity Saga and fanservice at its most powerful. "Avengers: Infinity War" was a story centered around the villain, about losing all hope and that showed the true consequences of the heroes' division. "Avengers: Endgame", in a way, takes us back to basics. A once again story centered around the Avengers and their unstoppable quest of retaking everything lost by the hands of Thanos, that perfectly closes the character arcs of each of the Core 6 members of the team in a very satistfying fashion. Robert Downey Jr.'s emotional final appearance as Tony Stark/Iron Man will tear up more than one person; Chris Evans' goodbye to Steve Rogers/Captain America is as epic as they come; Chris Hemsworth and Mark Rufallo both deliver two rather out-of-normal takes on Thor and Bruce Banner/ The Hulk, respectively; and Scarlett Johansson as Natasha Romanoff/Black Widow and Jeremy Renner as Clint Barton/Hawekey show performances that amazingly balance true emotion and total badassery. Yes, there are more characters, but you can tell this is THEIR movie, and rightfully so. I feel more than greatful for having the oportunity of growing alonside these amazing characters and to see them getting as far as they went. My connection, as well as so many othet people, to them is remarcably special and honestly beautiful. However, "Avengers: Endgame" is not a goodbye to this universe, nor is it a conclusion to what it had grown to be. It's a celebration of the Marvel Cinematic Universe as a whole, its past, present and future all converging into this beast of a film, and leaving the door open to so much more stories to tell in the coming years as it natutally ties all lose ends. Yeah, some of the film's storytelling may often feel a bit clumsier due to its use of time travel laws that it forgets to respect, a few ammount of logic leaps coming out of said clumsiness that get to damage what the movie tries to generally stablish, this being appearing to be more visible during its second act, and yeah, this Thanos lack of actual connection to the Avengers drains a bit of the impact of their final confrontation, but I don't really care, to be honest. "Avengers: Endgame" is simply unlike any other feature-length production. A film made for and by the fans, an almost miraculous adrenaline rush like no other, and the single greatest movie experience I, and so many other people, have ever had. Nothing will never, ever be the same after this.

leslie liked this review