Spider-Man: Homecoming

Spider-Man: Homecoming ★★★

52/100 (-8)

Still find his extremely underwhelming and not nearly as “great” as a lot of others apparently do. Yeah sure, Tom Holland is a great Peter Parker. Yeah, Michael Keaton knows how to play a villain pretty well. And yeah, this is probably the first Spider-Man movie that actually takes the whole “friendly neighborhood” part seriously. But I just didn’t care for anything going on in this.

Props to the writers for writing a superhero movie without the main plot being stopping the end of the world, that’s refreshing. But other than that this is about as run-of-the-mill as they come for Marvel. It follows every other Marvel film before it, the added scenes with Iron Man add nothing more than to remind us Spider-Man is finally a part of the MCU.

I think my issue with this is due to the fact that I have never cared for Spider-Man and the oversaturation of him in the past years hasn’t helped either. I’m one of the fair few who enjoyed the Amazing Spider-Man, so going from that to this was such a huge letdown for me as well.

The cast is okay. Everyone does do a well enough job to bring the story to life. But honestly, I just didn’t give a shit about any of it. Ned is annoying. Why is Zendaya even in this? And we get it Aunt May is hot now.

The action is fine. The visuals are fine. The score is fine. The costumes are fine. The A.I. in Peter’s suit was a cool addition, but it’s nothing groundbreaking. All in all, this is just another Marvel movie that lacks any emotional depth, that is so concerned with the likability of its titular character instead of making him feel like real person.