Cléo from 5 to 7 ★★★★½

This may be the best film that I have seen from the French New Wave. My first film by Agnès Varda, hopefully I will see more films from her acclaimed filmography. Also, this was my second film that I have seen from the more experimental side being the Paris Left Bank, the other being Hiroshima Mon Amour by Alain Resnais.

Cléo from 5 to 7 was a very stylish film that flirted with hints of surrealism and musicals. The story is very upfront and captures the afternoon of a pop singer from 5PM to 7PM on the first day of summer in Paris. The film draws upon events during that time such as the Algerian War, and ties that towards existentialism along with the main character's results from her cancer analysis. I could feel the emotions of loneliness, despair, and disquiet from the film without direct communication, but the overall atmosphere that pours out from the screen. The film also explores how women are perceived in society, and how nobody in the film is quite taking Cléo seriously. Even though she is clearly distressed throughout the majority of the film.

What I took away from Cléo from 5 to 7 is despite the mundanities of life, enjoy those brief snippets of beauty that occur everyday that we may or may not notice.

lifeaquatic17 liked these reviews