Happy Birthday to Me

A random grab from my unwatched Blu-rays. It's part of Mill Creek Entertainment's Retro VHS Look Series with packaging designed to look like a VHS release - pretty cool.

So this is another early 80's "slasher" that I missed back in the day. Unfortunately, other than aiding my completist mentality, it had little impact on me. I didn't realize that the film was directed by J. Lee Thompson (Cape Fear, The Guns of Navarone) until I threw it in the player. Definitely has a different feel then other slashers of this time. I see it as more of a sophisticated psychological thriller with a body count.

The Mill Creek release is bare bones except for its cool packaging. If you are a fan of the film, you should go with the Indicator Blu-ray release:

INDICATOR STANDARD EDITION SPECIAL FEATURES:

- Alternative score: experience the film with the controversial re-scored electronic music soundtrack, as used on the 2004 home video re-release
- Audio commentary by The Hysteria Continues team: Justin Kerswell (author of Teenage Wasteland: The Slasher Movie Uncut) Joseph Henson, Erik Threlfall and Nathan Johnson
- Image gallery: on-set and promotional material
- Original trailer and TV spots
- New and improved English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing