Long Day's Journey Into Night

Although I could have lived with half of the 70 minute lead up to the 59 minute 3D one-take, I understand that much of the exposition lies within it and this is very much Gan Bi's style. Very inaccessible to mainstream audiences. That being said, I think it's a must-see.

Oh.. and for those who have seen it... that donkey, right?!?!? Performance of the year.

So in case you haven't heard, this film made $41 Million at the box office.

-- From Variety - According to industry reports, the film was rolled out in China as a romantic epic, a perfect date movie for the last night of 2018. Screenings were timed so that the film ended precisely at midnight. And because its closing image is of two lovers kissing, Long Day’s Journey Into Night was promoted as a movie that would offer viewers the ideal cue to kiss their own partner right as the new year began. Three weeks after its triumphant opening night, the movie vanished from box-office charts with a total gross of $41 million, meaning it made almost all of its money on December 31. The hashtag “can’t understand Long Day’s Journey Into Night” trended on social media, while users of the ticketing platform Maoyan flooded it with bad reviews for the film, which received an aggregate rating of 2.8 out of 10.

Watched in 3D at The Landmark Theater (Pico Blvd, LA)