Mercuriales

Can't believe I'm just finding out about this film about this now. Mubi had it all month along with Virgil Vernier's second feature Sophia Antipolis, which I'm hopefully watching tonight. Wish I watched it a month ago so I could have turned more people on to it.

Vernier has a distinct voice and I think he's doing something pretty special here. Beautifully shot by Jordane Chouzenoux on Super 16mm on the Aaton Xterà with Zeiss Super Speed Lenses. I need to see more of his work.

There's a moment 50 minutes in... in which the two leads are walking and talking... it's breathtakingly beautiful.

I don't consider this a spoiler so I'm going to explain so stop reading now if you don't want to know anything going in:

The sound work in this scene makes it in to something that I'm not sure I've seen before. We are watching the two leads walk and talk but we hear another conversation that they are having at some other time... more intimate and with a different energy level. So cool. And it is accompanied by a melodic electronic score by James Ferraro. I rewatched the moment 5 times.

Watched on Mubi.