Slugs

Wow. For me, this year has been a great year for first-time watches of classic genre/exploitation films. I never rented this film back in the day. I remember the VHS cover quite well but for some reason never acted on it. I have to thank Rebekah McKendry www.letterboxd.com/RebekahMcKendry/ for recommending this film on the @ShockWavesPod podcast. I've now witnessed the insanity of Slugs and I realize this film deserves classic 80's sleaze status.

Great effects (actually won a GOYA Award for Best Special Effects Mejores Efectos Especiales in 1989) and a big score by Tim Souster, performed by The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra. But the over-the-top performances, irreverence and a whole lot of absurdity make this film a laugh riot. I don't think I've come across a film with so many unnecessary or awkward lines of dialogue or exchanges between two characters. "After I've dealt with these slugs, what do you say to we get naked and crazy?"

After a very fun watch, I immediately texted my good friend and fellow filmmaker Joe Lynch letterboxd.com/thejoelynch/ to ask if he ever saw this gem. Joe saw it when he was young. This was his reply:

"OH DUDE. That sex scene fucked me up"

Ha... I can't imagine seeing this film at 11 years old. It's pretty hardcore (in terms of violence and nudity) for 80's standards.

Watched on Hoopla but it's so good that I'm buying the Arrow Films Blu-ray. I'm not sure if it is a different scan (pretty sure it is but couldn't tell cause Hoopla had compression last night on my set) but the extras are fantastic. I want to know more about this film and director Juan Piquer Simón. If anyone out there knows how to see other films by Juan Piquer Simón (besides Pieces and The Rift), please let me know.

Arrow Films Blu-ray extras:

- Audio commentary by writer and filmmaker Chris Alexander
- Here’s Slugs In Your Eye – an interview with actor Emilio Linder
- They Slime, They Ooze, They Kill: The Effects of Slugs – an interview with special effects artist Carlo De Marchis
- Invasion USA – an interview with art director Gonzalo Gonzalo
- The Lyons Den – an interview and locations tour with production manager Larry Ann Evans
- 1988 Goya Awards promo reel
- Original Theatrical Trailer
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Wes Benscoter