The Hate U Give

I had to keep reminding myself that this is based on a YA novel because it goes way over the top in the last twenty minutes. It's a very tight film that is bold in tackling issues for a mainstream audience but because it is targeting a youth audience, there is no restraint. I'm referring to the full blown riot that becomes a Hollywood action sequence leading to the convenient downfall of the bad neighborhood drug dealer (Anthony Mackie). This is where I feel the filmmakers, who were delicately walking the political tightrope, unfortunately decide to support the black and white criminalization of drug dealing, forgetting the exploration of the systemic violence that leads to it - which they were doing earlier in the film. So besides that unfortunate simplification in the the last act, I think the film has a lot going for it.

And there is no doubt that Amandla Stenberg will be a major star. She is fantastic in this film.

Cinematographer Mihai Malaimare Jr. does a great job with digital tools:
Panavision Millennium DXL, Panavision APO Panatar, ATZ, Primo 70 and Helios Lenses

Watched on the plane.