2001: A Space Odyssey

2001: A Space Odyssey ★★★★★

I can't rate this film.
Obviously, my rating would be lost in a sea of 5 star reviews and long essays on this film, so I'll do something different with my reviews and talk about what I liked and what I didn't like. (….yes, I know)

I can, without a doubt, say that this is the single most visually impressive film I've ever seen.
Every single shot is gorgeous, every set is impressive and real-looking.
I'm a SUCKER for good sci-fi sets.
Hell, the Nostromo in Alien has been a subject of my fascination for years.
But THIS. This is beautiful. From the opening to the infamous ending, every shot is composed magnificently.

I really love the half of the film dealing with Dave Bowman and HAL 9000 (called the Jupiter mission). It's creepy, though-provoking, and what I think is perfect sci-fi. Robot vs. man. It's a simple concept which Kubrick, through visuals and music, executes very well.

And the music. The use of classical music is famous, and for good reason. Even as Zarathustra has become a meme of sorts today, it still works effectively.

However.
As amazing as the visuals and the Jupiter mission portion of this film are, the overall narrative of the film slips from my grasp.
I feel as if I have a semblance of the meaning of it all, but a part of me wonders if that's just an elementary understanding of the film.

And lastly, the film is very very very slow.
I know that's a juvenile criticism, and it's something that is very subjective, but the film isn't what I would call compelling for a good portion of the runtime.
If anyone knows me, they know I don't really love fast-paced action films or hyper-speed comedies, for the most part.

But 2001 takes its time and that was a bit of a hinderance for me, even on the second watch.

With all this in mind, my opinion of the film has definitely improved, and since I watched it last I can better express my thoughts on it.
While I can't say it's one of my favorite films of all time, I did appreciate it so much more this time around for its technological advancements and just all around epic feeling.

It definitely is a must-watch film, and I will most likely give it a 3rd viewing in the years to come, as I feel it will improve even more on another watch down the road.