Champions

Champions ★★★½

Johnny: “I’m your homie with an extra cromie.”

Marcus Maracovich (Woody Harrelson) is an assistant minor league basketball coach. A series of incidents culminating with Marcus being caught drunk driving finds him sentenced to 90 days of community service. The judge orders that he coach a team of basketball players with intellectual disabilities.

I had not seen the 2018 Spanish film Campeones that Champions is based on, but it really didn’t matter. The first scenes where Marcus meets the team are so funny, and the laughs don’t let up! Woody Harrelson is perfectly cast as arrogant coach Marcus, and the addition of Ernie Hudson and Cheech Marin is a nice nostalgic touch. But the stars truly are the members of ‘The Friends’ basketball team, and considering most of them had no basketball or acting experience, they hold their own and get some hysterically funny lines!

I had heaps of fun with Champions. Though the storyline is rather predictable, it harks back to some of those feel-good movies that came before, including Cool Runnings, The Mighty Ducks and The Bad News Bears, and there’s even a smoking soundtrack! Stay tuned for the awesome end credits :) I recommend this one 💕

Block or Report