Paterson

Paterson ★★★★★

The Intro and Q&A to my screening.

Lovely. Just lovely.
It is simple, beautiful ode to love as it manifests itself in the real world of regular working people. A love letter to all the passionate people of the world, wherever and however that passion manifests itself.

Art doesn't belong in a museum, poetry isn't in dusty books of yore, these are alive and well at 213 Main Street of every town of every country. Wherever someone brings a notebook to work to scribble thoughts. Wherever someone paints fabric to make curtains. Wherever someone puts two words together that mean something new. Paterson captures it, and does so beautifully.

Like the poem says:

they were delicious
so sweet
and so cold

___________________________________________________________________

There is one other reason I loved this film.
I came out of it and my first thought was vindication. THIS is what I meant with my criticism of Linklater's Before Midnight. Before Midnight shows a couple bickering and being mean to each other and having lost all respect for one another a long time ago and most people watch the film and assume that is the way it goes. Many young people, who have never been in long term relationships see it and assume that is the way it goes (or must go). I hated that thought because I knew there was another way but I couldn't express it.

Now I can. Paterson. Respect.

I haven't seen a nice respectful couple in a film since Dick Van Dyke was a star. And that is just one other reason (as though I needed one) why I loved Paterson so much. It was that breath of fresh air after so many years of nothing but selfish mean-spirited and disrespectful couples.

Oh, and sweetie, about that chocolate bar you were saving...

Block or Report