The Shop Around the Corner ★★★★★

I went into screenwriter mode about 30 minutes into the film. I could predict where it was going and how it was going to get there. I was enjoying it, but I knew where it was headed.

Ha!
HA! I said.

I've never been so happy to be so wrong, and JHC was I proved wrong. Every friggin' 10 minutes Lubitsch and the screenwriter and the playwright were giving me the middle finger salute and I was loving it. The writing would come at me sideways, I would adjust my expectations and then get hit from the other side 10 minutes later. On and on it went, and I was lapping it up laughing out loud with a smile wider than my chair just waiting to get the finger again so that I could laugh even louder.

I don't know if I should thank Lubitsch or screenwriter Samson Raphaelson or playwright Miklós László. All three I guess, as well as Margaret Sullavan, Jimmy Stewart and Frank Morgan. Everyone played it beautifully. Everyone worked it perfectly.

Gettin' tired of paint by numbers Hollywood stories? Lubitsch has you covered in The Shop Around the Corner.

Lise liked these reviews