Young Frankenstein

Young Frankenstein ★★★

I must begin by stating that this type of comedy is no longer my bag. It was back in my 20s when I was introduced to Monty and the gang, but now, many years later, this farcical humour does nothing for me. Maybe it is a case of 'been-there-done-that', I don't know. Or maybe one's sense of funny undergoes an evolution of sorts. I never really thought about that before. I always assumed the question with humour was whether you had it or not, or whether you were prone to specific types of humour. It never occurred to me that there could be shifts, seismic shifts even, in what tickled one's funny bone. I'll have to think on that one.

The stars I give are for production values and of course for the humour. I might not laugh at it anymore, but for its style it is pretty good I'm sure. The film is really well done. The cinematography is surprisingly outstanding, as are the sets and music. The performances are exactly what they should be, and 5 stars for Marty, just for being Marty. And of course Gene, Gene the Acting Machine has a nice little bit.

Lise liked this review