Pan's Labyrinth

Pan's Labyrinth ★★★★½

Secret Cinema - Round 19
Recommended by Esneimi

Yeah, it’s a good movie, but since when did it become a movie trope that fascist characters have hair that is short, slicked, and combed to the side, and the rebel characters have longer and more untamed hair? Is this a hidden metaphor for how fascist regimes wanted everything one way and under one rule and the rebels want people to be free? I can’t believe I haven’t noticed this until now. When did this trope begin? Has it always had this connotation behind it, or is it just subtle symbolism within this movie specifically? Never in my life did I think that I’d be so focused on the hair of characters in a film, but here we are. For real, I spent this entire movie looking specifically at the hair of every character and I found that all the fascist characters and all the rebel characters had their respective hair patterns. I spent more time focusing on the hair in this movie than Elon Musk spends on deciding whether or not tweeting the first thing that pops into his head is a good idea. Though, to be fair, that’s not all that much time cause that dude just tweets whatever he wants. Anyways, what was I saying? Oh yeah, good movie.

Leave a comment if Stranger Things really just stole Ofelia’s entire aesthetic and made it a character.

Block or Report