Sunset Boulevard ★★★★★

"Poor dope, he always wanted a pool."

For a film about a screenwriter, the writing in this film is noticeably remarkable. I can't count how many times I said throughout the film: "damn, that's a good line."

Which is not to say that the script is the only good thing about Sunset Boulevard, because this is a rare film that fires on every cylinder. For a film about Hollywood, Wilder's directing creates for a near-claustrophobic experience which slowly accelerates the tension as we go. While both lead performances are excellent, it is Gloria Swanson who delivers a once-in-a-lifetime performance. Starting with Norma's very first scene, it becomes clear that this would be one of the more memorable performances I would ever see.

Recently, I felt that I hadn't been watching as many movies as I should have so I set out to watch a film (preferably for the first time) for every day of July. Not only is this a good closing note for that, but it's also the best thing I've seen all month. In fact, Sunset Boulevard is the best thing I've seen in a long while.

Logan liked these reviews