The Favourite

The Favourite ★★★★★

I'll be totally honest: I think a third actress category should be added to the Oscars just so all three leading ladies can be honored. AND YET I think Nicholas Hoult might have been my favorite performance of the whole movie?!

This is so fucking good. When I got to the theater, I was pleasantly surprised to find that this was being shown in the biggest screen in the joint. Even though it was a night showing and relatively empty, I sat near the front and was totally encompassed into this meticulously crafted world. One shot that immediately comes to mind is a teary-eyed Rachel Weisz illuminated by candlelight in a vast array of darkness.

It's a bit too long but the brisk pace eliminates any hint of fatigue. A big part of that is the punctuation of nearly every scene with a biting line of humor. The direction, editing, music, writing, and acting...firing on all cylinders.

In my mind, I tend to compartmentalize comedy into something totally separate from arthouse cinema. And yet, with Phantom Thread in mind, this is two years in a row where my favorite film of the year expertly strikes a delicate balance between the two. I guess that means I've found my niche?

Logan liked these reviews