Parasite ★★★★★

2019 Ranked

If I haven't mentioned it before, Bong Joon-ho is my favorite director. And this movie blew me away. Equal parts funny and thrilling, while also adding a family dynamic that is surprisingly endearing, Joon-ho crafts a film that successfully wanders through the turmoil of financial inequality.

The performances are all brilliant, but I HAVE to talk about my favorite actor, the legendary Song Kang-ho. His character has a innate coolness to him, shown off from his driving scenes to his immediate jump to action to help to family, and even at the very beginning as he begins to rapidly fold pizza boxes. I loved watching this family plot things together, because even as more sinister things began to happen, the treatment of each other remained the same.

Joon-ho successfully adds more mistakes to his characters that just nail in the facts that they are human, or they are compassionate. Much like the mistakes of the main character in The Host, all of the mistakes our main characters make in this film can be summed up to very understandable mistakes, and that helps to drive it up on the scale of films as well.

There were some brilliant shots as well, but I was so enthralled by the story that I didn't get to spend as much time taking in the shots and lighting as much as I would like to. So I am extremely looking forward to my rewatch to what is currently my top film of the year.

London liked these reviews