Toy Story 4 ★★★½

2019 Ranked

Can't believe the Toy Story team were able to successfully introduce a character that perfectly mirrors the average millenials mentality. Of course I'm talking about the man, the myth, the trash, Forky. Every scene with Forky was a delight and a ton of fun to watch. Even his physical movements were hilarious.

Toy Story 3 is my favorite in the franchise. I also really enjoy the second film. The first is okay. But I was really happy to enjoy this one as much as I did. Existential dread and loss of meaning have always been themes that speak loudly to me, so seeing them in a children's franchise that bridges generations is great.

Gabby Gabby was a pretty good addition to the cast. The conclusion to her story was a little too swift for my taste and felt a little too forced, but it was still very nice. Forky had a great arc as well in the film. Even the smaller characters in the film that took the backseat: Buzz, Bunny, Ducky, Duke Kaboom; they all had tightly knit arcs that satisfyingly ended.

But the big one, Woody, has probably one of his best arcs in this film. Powerfully performed by Tom Hanks and with the support of Bo Peep, the film captures moments I never thought possible in a film about toys. Not quite as powerful or hard hitting as the conclusion to Toy Story 3, but Toy Story 4 is a really good ending to this franchise.