Parasite ★★★★½

We have a contender. It needs to be seen to be believed. I went into this as blind as possible; I heard so much praise. I like what I've seen from Bong Joon-ho, I didn't love this as much as so many but it's still a force.

This is already a magnificent film, but it's one that keeps getting better and better as you give it time to process, because as you think about it, it will prove itself as one of the funniest, scariest and smartest of films to be released in years.

It starts as a simple but engaging story; but it will take you to so many places that you won't see coming; subverting your expectations and experimenting with multiple genres in the same film in a very exciting way.

The performances are superb; nothing in this film felt like a drag in the least. It was paced perfectly from start to finish and it will keep building this incredibly powerful emotional tension up until the very end.

I've never seen a film like this before. It was very unique and special. It's easily one of the best for the year; possibly even the best. I've liked Bong's work in the past. But this is his best. From what I've seen.

Not everyone will enjoy this; and that's fine. There is some levity. But it's full of many darker moments and themes. It's been too long since I've seen anything foreign too.

That being the case; it's extremely refreshing to return to one with what is one of my favourites for the year; and possibly my very favourite; it's one that more people need to see. It's a tornado.

Daniel liked these reviews