Jojo Rabbit

Jojo Rabbit ★★★★

“We’ll burn the house down and blame Winston Churchill.”

Jojo Rabbit is an emotional rollercoaster ride. It’ll drop you from the highest highs to the lowest lows and expect you to laugh and cry simultaneously through all of it. And you probably will. At times, it’s as emotionally poignant and thoughtful as Schindler’s List, and at others it’s as irreverent and carefree as Inglourious Basterds. Roman Griffin Davis, the film’s titular star, carries every scene with incredible charm and is quite possibly one of the most talented child actors I’ve seen in a long time. Everyone else here does a great job as well, and the film succeeds in the particularly difficult task of making Rebel Wilson funny. The story’s not something to write home about, but the way it’s presented by its talented cast and inventive direction by Taika Waititi makes it still appear very unique.

The first half is easily stronger than the second. It’s significantly more lighthearted and--dare-I-say--goofy and feels more comfortable exploring this territory. Later on, when it tries to tackle more serious subjects, it drops the goofiness and takes on a more conventional, unoriginal approach. I wish the film had used its satirical tone more consistently. It would’ve led to an overall more original film and might have warranted a perfect rating.

Overall, Jojo Rabbit is a very entertaining, well-made film that’s best viewed casually.

Block or Report