Cowboy Bebop: The Movie

Cowboy Bebop: The Movie ★★★★½

Film Club Secret Cinema

I think it’s time we blow this thing.
Get everybody and the stuff together.
Ok 3, 2, 1. Let’s jam!

It’s hard to talk about this as a film, because it basically functions as a long episode of the show. All I can say is that it is incredibly entertaining before anything else. The fights, the soundtrack, the truly flawless animation, the character dynamics, and just watching Spike Spiegel be Spike Spiegel all make for a blast of a movie. It feels like a dopamine injection that you can’t help but succumb to. You can’t help but smile. You can’t help but dance in your seat. You can’t help but cheer when Spike lands a hit and wince when Spike takes one. This film also delivers in that healthy dose of existentialism that Cowboy Bebop is known and loved for.

In a lot of ways, Cowboy Bebop feels like my Pulp Fiction. I watched the series for the first time in middle school, and it was so unlike anything I had seen before that it blew my mind. For me, it was one of those formative pieces of media that everyone has where you feel like you aren’t the same person after watching it. Something about what you think film, or television, or anime, or video games can be or can accomplish is altered. Your boundaries as a consumer of media are pushed.

Somehow, I haven’t seen the series since middle school. I watched it once, and over the years, I forgot about it. This movie just made me fall in love with the series all over again. An amazing film for an amazing series that is long overdue for a rewatch. Thanks, Theo.

Lord liked these reviews