The Lost City of Z ★★★★

I love big epic exploration movies, the kind they don't make anymore. Oh wait, they do still make them, as in The Lost City of Z directed by James Gray, which I saw on my recent trip to London and opens soon across the U.S.

The The Lost City of Z is a throwback in many ways. First, it evokes a kind of film that used to be a fairly popular genre. Second, and perhaps more notable for the times, it was filmed on real film as opposed to digitally. This last bit makes the look of the film more textured as compared to its digital contemporaries.

I know what you are thinking - yes, but is it a good movie? And the answer to the is a resounding YES.

Like all good exploration films, at the core of The Lost City of Z is someone with an obsession to be the first to find something - like visit the South Pole, find a new species in Africa, or in this case British explorer Col. Percival Fawcett (Charlie Hunnam) searching for a mysterious city in the Amazon in the 1920s.

We are treated to a few expeditions with Col. Fawcett, each time getting closer to his dream. In the meantime, he has to deal with the Royal Geographical Society, a World War, his family, and not least, his inner demons and ambitions.

Sienna Miller does her best to stay in the period while being the modern supportive wife, and it was nice to see Tom Holland (soon to be a household name as the new Spidey) as the young son who gets caught up in his father's obsession.

Does Col. Fawcett find the lost city? Well, I am not one for spoilers, but it is based on the real life of Col. Fawcett and it is all a matter of history - but I will let you see for yourself.

I was all in on the film from beginning, and despite some flaws, I highly recommend this it - the perfect two hour escape to another time and place as only the best movies can do.