Us

Us ★★★★½

"There's a family on our driveway."

I never quite understood why I loved Get Out so much, obviously I adored the way Peele depicts the racial issues and general execution, but other than that it doesn't seem like a movie I would love so much. So when I saw the first trailer of Us I got beyond excited because this time I was interested not only in the issues and Peele's direction and screenwriting, but in the concept of the film, also. And if I liked Get Out that much just because of the execution I knew Us would be something out of this world.

In the beginning Us plays itself like a classic movie horror movie similar to Get Out, with Janelle Monáe on the background and obviously a lame dabbing dad who says "don't need the internet, you got the outernet", but as you watch it Us slowly stops being like anything you've seen before. Strangely enough Peele made me laugh several times, and what is even more strange every gag is on point and doesn’t ruin the horror of everything that is happening in the movie. Ever dreamed of seeing a slaughter while The Beach Boys' Good Vibrations and NWA's Fuck tha Police blasting on the background? Me neither but Peele gave us this delight! Moreover he gave an opportunity of giving the performance of a lifetime to Lupita Nyong'o, and she totally nailed it. On the one hand she’s a loving and terrified for the lives of her children mother, and on the other hand she’s a terrifying leader of a revolution that should become the end of the world as we know it. You know why comparing Peele to Hitchcock is wrong? Because Peele is a whole lot better, it took tens of films for Hitchcock to make a masterpiece and it only took two for Peele make his.

Jordan Peele flips the concept of protagonism and antagonism on its head, misleading the audience like television news, making (or at least trying) us believe in non-existent villains, or villains who became such because they were left no choice but to rise against the machine. Unlike Get Out that stated very clear message on racial issues in the US, leaving almost no questions after the end, Peele's sophomore feature does the opposite. You can watch at Us as a simple and straightforward horror movie with astonishing suspense and a bunch of inventive decisions from Jordan Peele both as a screenwriter and a director, and the movie would work perfectly because Peele made the movie this way, it is a simple and straightforward horror movie on the surface. But look underneath and you'll see a vague movie that should be looked at as a metaphor.

"Therefore thus saith the Lord, Behold, I will bring evil upon them, which they shall not be able to escape; and though they shall cry unto me, I will not hearken unto them."

To quote Winston Duke Us is about "what legacy do we leave? and if your legacy can visit you at your dood, with your face, are you prepared to see it and deal with the repercussion?". So Us is basically about capitalism that creates "lower" class and puts people in the position where they have to fight for their survival and basic human rights, and to what consequences it may lead. Us reminds me of Luca Guadagnino's Suspiria that can be seen as a standart horror film but hides under the surface so much metaphors and symbols that you will notice something new for yourself with each viewing. I'm extremely excited about all these genre horror films (Suspiria, It Follows, Us) that hide so much within them.

"We're Americans."