2001: A Space Odyssey

2001: A Space Odyssey ★★★★½

I've seen 2001 several times and I know many people think that those who say they like it only say it to appear clever or cultured in some way.

So let me address why I like this odd entry into the science fiction film genre.

Those of us of a certain age may remember the soundtrack album in our parents' collection, and it may well have been the first time we heard The Blue Danube or Also Sprach Zarathrusta (unless of course in the case of the latter we remember it from Elvis Presley stage shows).

The musical score, largely made up of classical pieces, accounts for 50% or more of the power of this Stanley Kubrick film, which although confusingly plotted, has moments of visual clarity which hint at the mysteries of the solar system and outer space.

Much parodied sequences such as the bone throwing which evolves into a rocket, or the singing of Daisy Bell by the computer HAL (who gave birth to Hitchhiker's Guide's irritating Eddie), and the final image of the strange baby (who represents ... well, whatever you like), have left this film in something of cinema limbo.

However in the journey of our protagonists who find themselves isolated in deep space, and in the ultimate failure (or takeover) of technology, there is much food for thought for us now, when robots and computer-driven devices are much more of a reality.

If you remove the baggage of parody, advertising, and fifty years of film critic pretension, and just view this film for a sci-fi epic, with beautiful visuals and score, you might just like it as much as I do.

If not, perhaps this film is just not the right one for you.

loureviews liked these reviews