Soul

Soul ★★★★★

I heard this story about a fish, he swims up to an older fish and says: "I’m trying to find this thing they call the ocean." "The ocean?" the older fish says, "that’s what you’re in right now." "This", says the young fish, "this is water. What I want is the ocean!"

Let me start by saying that the animation is as beautiful as the movies message about life. Everyone, including myself, often think about what our purpose is in life. Sometimes that purpose is unclear and many can’t even find the ocean. Sometimes our purpose isn’t what we expected and we find ourselves in water when we want to be in the Ocean. When it comes to finding the ocean I find myself in many lost spaces, which can be both a tragic and beautiful thing. In my art sometimes I find myself in that space, a separate world where the only thing that exists is my art and myself. When I’m in “the zone” as the movie called it, I notice I’m not at a place where I can combine those worlds. I’m in a zone that’s enjoyable but it’s not my ocean. Sometimes I find myself lost, where I go day to day without truly living those days, rather just getting through them. When I struggle with my mental health I get in a lost state, not too different from a “zone” state. One may be happier, but neither are the ocean. So maybe it’s not time to be in the ocean yet? The oceans a difficult thing to find, especially when your life can still go in so many directions and that’s okay. Some may find their ocean early in life or like the main character in the movie, they may need a bit more time. A common saying that I believe is “it’s not the destination but the journey that matters.” If the meaning of life is to find your passion, that being the ocean, then I think the path you took to get there makes your ocean that much more beautiful. It’s okay to take as much time as you need to find your ocean and it’s okay to rest sometimes on the long journey that is life. I don’t know how my life’s gonna turn out. I know I want to spend the rest of my life with the person I love. I know I want my friends and family in my life. I know I want art in my life, weather that’ll be a career is for me to explore. I know those things but I don’t know my ocean yet. The one thing I know for sure about my life is really simple.

I’m gonna live every minute of it.