Drive

Drive

"I don't take part, I don't know anyone, I don't carry weapons, I drive..."

I explained in my last review that this film was unique and was exceptionally gritty. Well, it certainly is gritty.
It's one of them films where your eyes cannot leave the screen and you have a lump stuck in your throat for the majority of the runtime. That is signs of a very good director and Nicolas Winding Refn is certainly that! I cannot express enough how much I love his directing style. I watched this film with my family and it seemed like I was the only one in the room who loved the film. They kept irritatingly complaining about the long pauses and the slow pacing but that is one of the main reasons I love this film. Along with Bronson and many of his other works, the use of silence is fantastic! The first chase scene in this movie is absolutely extraordinary - it barely leaves the car. The robbers in the back seat aren't screaming at the driver like in every other heist movie. It's very quiet and incredibly engaging. Ryan Gosling's amazing performance helps that scene too of course.

Gosling is amazing in the entire film too! The rest of the cast are all brilliant, especially Oscar Isaac, Albert Brooks and Ron Perlman.
I will also mention that the casting of all these characters was just so damn perfect!

The cinematography is one of the best parts of the film. There are an unbelievable amount of phenomenal shots that made me smile like a 6 year old getting an ice cream. This cinematography, combined with the masterful editing was just joy to my eyes!
The soundtrack, as you all know, is just superb too but I also want to point out how good the sound mixing/editing was. Similarly to the masterpiece Blade Runner 2049, the sound effects and music literally shook the whole floor in my house! That's when you know they have done a good job on the sound.

There is also some brilliant foreshadowing and little easter eggs that I noticed on a rewatch, not to mention the breathtaking attention to detail this film has. The symbolism is just insanely clever in my opinion, such as the different colours of lights on the protagonists face or the stuntman mask or the famous scorpion jacket and I could go on and on. These sort of things make it a wonderful film to rewatch and just a thought-provoking film in general.

It’s an iconic flick to say the least and is, quite honestly, one of my favourite 'action' (if you can even call it that) films ever made.

Block or Report