Halloween

Halloween

"Death has come to your little town, Sheriff."

It's finally Halloween so I can finally watch 'Halloween'. I am on a horror/thriller binge at the moment but this has been the one I was looking forward to the most.

I can see why this film is a classic. Not only did it start the new slasher genre 'trend' but a lot of it was really well made. I am not going to lie, I always thought, for some reason, that this was a really corny clichéd movie that was only good at it's time but what I got was so much more. I guess I thought this because all the sequels to the old classics ('Halloween', 'Friday 13th', 'Nightmare on Elm Street') are extremely clichéd disasters...but anyway, this film was so much slower than I thought, and I most definitely mean that as a positive. The build up to certain scenes or scares were incredible with the extremely engaging cinematography and the phenomenal music score by John Carpenter.

The POV opening was one incredible way to start a movie. I thought the ending was decent too and could have been a lot worse!
This film did have some terrible acting from the supporting cast but from a filmmaking point of view, this was horror gold! It was completely jam packed with terrific scares that were just consistently amazing!

Question: This movie was released 4 years before John Carpenter's 'The Thing' but, in this film, it was shown on the TV. I figured it must just be a clever reference to the directors other movie but 4 years seems like a long time to do that. Just imagine a film coming out now that shows someone watching a film that hasn't been released yet, and isn't until 2021...it would be crazy! Another thought I had was if I watched a newer cut that was released after John Carpenter's 'The Thing'...ah I don't have a clue but the reference excited me netherless!

lucan liked these reviews