The Witch ★★★★★

I have to confess something.
I was not a fan of The Witch on my first viewing a few months back. In my theatre, not a single person even liked it. I didn't say anything because of how much people were flipping out about mainstream audiences not liking it.
Now, even A24 (a company I love) made fun of the audiences that did this. I usually love when a company does this, but not this time. The trailer for The Witch is almost like a completely different movie. It was a completely incorrect look at the film. However, I know that in the end someone has to make money so it makes sense that is why the film was marketed like it was.
Now back to the actual film. The film is not an extremely scary movie (at least to me). I was actually much more creeped out by It Follows. But this time I did not have any expectations. The film is the subtitle: "A New-England Folktale." Not "The Exorcist in the Woods," which is what the trailer made it look like. And after watching it from that viewpoint, the film is a goddamn masterpiece. Sorry if I angered you by this review, but that's just my opinion.

Lucas liked these reviews