A Most Wanted Man

A Most Wanted Man ★★★★

"A Most Wanted Man" is a slow burn, but thanks to an amazing performance by Phillip Seymour Hoffman and a tense finale it succeeds in being a great, modern spy thriller.

Firsts things first, Phillip Seymour Hoffman is amazing. It is truly sad that he is no longer with us. Every time he was on the screen that is all I could think about. The rest of the cast is excellent as well, especially Willem Dafoe and Grigori Dobrygin. The plot is interesting, and right from the opening frame the tension sets it. My one minor complaint is that it is a little slow moving. This is necessary, and easy to look past as the film goes on, because it is so expertly crafted. Information is drip fed to you, and you are kept on the edge of your seat wondering what it is all about. The payoff is a tense, gripping scene that is expertly directed. The final punch is one that you won't see coming, but that makes absolute sense after the shock wears off.

The cinematography is great, the sound is great, the acting is great. This is an all around great movie. A small change in pace would have certainly made this one of the finest pictures of the year. I highly recommend giving this a watch if you get the chance, especially if you are a fan of the genre, or to just see Hoffman perform his magic one last time.

LucasMitch liked this review