Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood

Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood

Nice! I was lucky enough to give myself some time before I went into the film so I could learn if I should have expected a “Tarantino-y” movie or not. Luckily, I learned NOT to and I think I enjoyed the experience more then most would have (but who’s to say). Leo and Brad are great as always, nothing new. Some people have been complaining about the absence of Sharon Tate’s character compared to what has been advertised. After witnessing the (practically) perfect 3rd act, I came to understand and enjoy why Tarantino portrayed Robbie’s character as much as he did throughout. I can’t say it’s without its flaws, the most prominent being a quite lengthy scene where DiCaprio’s character plays an evil Cowboy in the film’s movie within a movie. At the end of the day, the only service the scene does to the plot is to propel Leo’s self-depricating outburst (aka, his beautifully performed tantrum). The 2nd act could have been 10 or 15 minutes shorter, but that’s just me being nitpicky. It’d be a lie to say I was ever bored or anxious to move on to the next scene, I was always curious to see where Tarantino was taking his story. The music’s eclectic, the film’s beautifully shot (what else did you expect?) and the writing is less flashy then one would expect (not so bad for his 9th film, eh.) I liked it, and if I could give Once Upon a Time in Hollywood a 4.25/5, I totally would!