Army of the Dead

Army of the Dead ★★★

I admire Zack Snyder for upping the ante and somewhat breaking the mould of what we're used to with this genre. Be it the Zombie hierarchy, or the Las Vegas setting, Army of the Dead is something far fresher than I was expecting.
This being said, I can't stress this enough - no movie about the undead should be two and a half hours long. Jesus Christ, what an undertaking. Don't get me wrong, it's paced out relatively well, with a slew of characters who've all enough substance to keep you engaged. There's tension, suspension, and plenty of good old ultra-violence, but Army of the Dead does ask a lot of the audience and could be a whole lot easier to swallow if it were simply tighter.
Also worth noting, visually Army of the Dead is a headache-inducing nightmare. Snyder’s opted to shoot practically everything with the tightest of focus. A depth of field so shallow, an actor merely has to shift his or her weight and they end up dropping from focus entirely. It's awkward, messy, and is a rather amateur attempt at art from a director who should know better.
All of this being said, there's fun to be had here. There's originally in the plenty, and enough textbook tropes of the horror genre to satisfy the more old-school fans. I'm not sure how quickly I'll rush back to revisit this one, mainly due to the length, but I am glad I was able to endure this latest Netflix drop.

Luke liked these reviews