Eternals

Eternals ★★★★★

I'm not all that familiar with the Eternals, because I have only read a few comics with them in it, and I was afraid that I would be underwhelmed by this movie given all the middling reviews, but I actually ended up loving it! It is certainly different from other MCU movies, but that isn't a bad thing at all. It really felt grand in scope, and despite knowing next to nothing about the characters going in, I really came to care for them.

Very different from your typical superheroes, the Eternals exist for a singular purpose; they are created by Arishem the Celestial to exterminate the Deviants from the planet, and eventually oversee the birth of a new Celestial, which would destroy the planet in the process. This situation brings up many moral dilemmas. There are themes of questioning one's purpose, and even questioning if humanity is even worth saving. I found the movie kind of profound as it addressed these issues. The cast was great, with the standouts for me being Gemma Chan as Sersi, Richard Madden as Ikaris, Brian Tyree Henry as Phastos, Kumail Nanjiani as Kingo and Lia McHugh as Sprite.

Chloe Zhao did a great job directing this movie. It looks great, and there are plenty of awe-inspiring shots. I especially love the sense of scale involved in depicting the Celestials. There is a sense of cosmic horror involved, showing how small we really are in the grand scheme of the universe. The score by Ramin Djawadi perfectly accompanied the epic scale of the movie. I don't know why the reviews for this movie are so mixed, but all I can say is that I loved it. I say this after every MCU movie, but it remains true; I am very excited for the future of the MCU and am very eager to see what happens to these characters.

Block or Report