Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest ★★★★½

I don’t know about you guys, but Dead Man’s Chest is EASILY better than Curse of the Black Pearl. Here’s why. With Black Pearl, it was a bit of an experiment. A movie based on a theme park ride, would that work? Would it be a successful film. There was a sense of safety, that they were still holding back a little, because they weren’t entirely sure if it would work. Well, it worked and so Dead Man’s Chest was born. And it did not hold back. It took everything the first film did well and either did more of it, or just did it bigger and better. To start with, the characters are still nothing short of phenomenal. In terms of character arcs, it’s a bit of a toss up between Jack and Elizabeth in terms of who has a bigger arc, but just like in the first film, there is not a single bad character. The new side of Norrington we get to see is awesome, Bill Turner is a great little supporting character, but it’s the villains that make their entry here. Beckett, although massively overshadowed by Davy Jones and just sort of sitting behind the scenes (If I remember correctly, he’s much more involved in the third film), he’s still there and is yet another party that is after the heart of Davy Jones. And speaking of Davy Jones, he may very well be one of the most underrated villains ever. The character design and CGI is amazing. Pair that with Bill Nighy’s awesome performance, Davy fucking Jones, the sea itself. Just like in the first film, there is history between him and Jack that is perfectly delivered to us through some light exposition and that’s really enough for us to get invested into the story. And speaking of the story, this is one of the best structured plots I’ve seen in a while. You might even say it’s perfect. Filmento on YouTube has a great video about it, but because of this plot, the film never slows down, or speeds up too much, excellent structure. Combined with some of the set pieces here, it’s a bit of a staple in terms of action/adventure films. Speaking of the action, it is just fantastic. It’s creative, it’s funny and it’s unique, there’s really nothing quite like it, especially that entire sequence with the rotating sword fight. An underrated action sequence to say the very least. And if all that wasn’t enough, it introduces a whole ton of new mythology in this Pirate world and manages to set up a third film, without that being the main focus. The heart of Davy Jones being a bit of a McGuffin and four (Or more?) different parties being after the heart adds on to the perfect plot that I was talking about and of course everyone’s favourite massive squid, The Kraken itself. More on that however in the scene spotlight. There’s really nothing more to say about Dead Man’s Chest, other than that it’s one of the best action/adventure movies ever. I really don’t know how anyone could dislike this film because it’s so much damn fun. Now I’m really looking forward to At World’s End, which if I remember correctly, I like slightly less than Dead Man’s Chest.

9.5