Raiders of the Lost Ark

Raiders of the Lost Ark ★★★★★

It’s been a pretty hectic month for me. I’ve watched considerably less films this month, and this is because I’ve been on a month-long trip around the world with my family. We visited some pretty amazing places, like Japan, New Orleans, Havana and Jordan. Naturally, I didn’t have much time to watch films, but I’m extremely grateful to have been able to go such incredible places, and especially because the last place we visited, Jordan, was somewhere I’ve wanted to go for so long. In particular, Petra, in the south of Jordan, which has been on my radar ever since I saw “Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade”, which was partly filmed there. It amazed me as a kid, and amazes me now, and having actually been there just a few days ago was a life-changing, unmatchable experience.

So, naturally, the family decided to rewatch “The Last Crusade” to see the scenes in Petra after actually having been there. But, of course, we couldn’t start there, and we were given an excuse to rewatch the whole Indiana Jones series, which is always such a treat. “Raiders” is one of the films that I feel entirely comfortable calling perfect. It truly is, from the visuals, performances, music, a flawless film, an adventure like no other and one of my all-time favourites. Something I really appreciated this time round was how Lucas and Spielberg were trying their hardest to emphasise that this isn’t Jones’ first adventure. All the characters here, Belloq, Marion, Sallah, Brody, are from Jones’ past in some way or another, and this fact allows the viewer to appreciate the world as a fully developed one, which makes the adventure much richer and exciting. It’s an absolute marvel of a film, and I’m so excited to rewatch the rest of the series.

“Indiana Jones. I always knew someday you’d come walking back through my door.”

Lucas liked these reviews