Superbad ★★★★½

I know what you’re thinking, 4 1/2 stars? That’s very close to 5 stars lawrence, is it really that good? This movie has a great amount of space in my heart and is a huge part of my adolescence, but it’s not just what this movie means to me that makes it so damn great. This movie is about so many things, it’s about friendship and the love you have for each other even if it’s not spoken about, it’s about the courage to do what you’ve always wanted to do, it’s about moving on to a big part of your life and being scared for what the future holds. This film is about all of that, but it hides behind the sole purpose of this movie and that is to get alcohol for the last party as high school students and to have sex with the girl you’ve been crushing on.

It’s really hard for comedies to feel like they actually have meaning while also being very raunchy and sometimes crude but Superbad blossoms in these aspects. This is due to hilarious performances by Jonah Hill, Michael Cera, Christopher Mintz-Plasse, Seth Rogen, and Bill Hader. Basically, every single person in this film is hilarious and brings something to the table. This movie understands what is important to a teenager and gives us scenarios that we have all contemplated once as kids. Scenes where Seth imagines ways to get alcohol in a store and is analyzing every single thing that could go right or wrong, because of this the film can live on and never feel dated because teenagers will understand and relate to the experiences that Seth and Evan go through.

None of this would work if it wasn’t for the BRILLIANT screenplay. This screenplay is not only absolutely entertaining but it knows how we all felt around this time in our life. It also has things to say about friendship, the ideas that teens get wrong about sex, awkward conversations with girls, and just the overall teenage experience.

This movie is iconic in every aspect. The music adds to the hilarity of many scenes as well as the editing, McLovins arc, the penis drawings, the ridiculous cops, and several quoteable lines. Superbad is the best and most relatable comedy of 2000s and will only age beautifully as time goes on!

Lawrence liked these reviews